Sunday, December 5, 2010

Evening devotional


Hear this evening's devotional [Prepared by Jonathan Bagster (1813-1872)]


12.05 Evening:

By strength shall no man prevail.


Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the Name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, Whom thou hast defied....And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth. So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone.

There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength.... Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy.―Both riches and honour come of Thee, and Thou reignest over all; and in Thine hand is power and might; and in Thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.

I... glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

1Sa 2:9 17:45,49,50 Ps 33:16,18 1Ch 29:12 2Co 12:9,10


Here it is again with the full verses and references

12.05 Evening:

(I Samuel 2:9)He will keep the feet of His saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.


(I Samuel 17:45)Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the Name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, Whom thou hast defied....(I Samuel 17:49,50)And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth. So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.

(Psalm 33:16)There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength....(Psalm 33:18)Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy;-- (I Chronicles 29:12)Both riches and honour come of Thee, and Thou reignest over all; and in Thine hand is power and might; and in Thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.

(II Corinthians 12:9,10)And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

1Sa 2:9 17:45,49,50 Ps 33:16,18 1Ch 29:12 2Co 12:9,10




--
Romans 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
I Peter 5:11 To Him
be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: