Monday, August 9, 2010

Evening devotional


Hear this evening's devotional [Prepared by Jonathan Bagster (1813-1872)]


08.09 Evening:

Broken cisterns, that can hold no water.


Eve . . . bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto Heaven; . . . The Lord scattered them.―Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan.―It was well watered every where, . . . even as the garden of the Lord, . . . But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.

I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.―I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: . . . I gathered me also silver and gold, . . . Then I looked on all . . .: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit.

If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink.―He satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

Set your affection on things Above, not on things on the earth.

Jer 2:13 Ge 4:1 11:4,8 Ge 13:11,10,13 Ec 1:17,18 2:4,8,11 Joh 7:37 Ps 107:9 Col 3:2


Here it is again with the full verses and references

08.09 Evening:

(Jeremiah 2:13)For My people have committed two evils; they have forsaken Me the Fountain of Living Waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.


(Genesis 4:1)And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

(Genesis 11:4)And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. . . (Genesis 11:8)So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.-- (Genesis 13:11)Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.--(Genesis 13:10)And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered every where, before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, even as the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar. . . . (Genesis 13:13)But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.

(Ecclesiastes 1:17,18)And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.-- (Ecclesiastes 2:4)I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: . . . (Ecclesiastes 2:8)I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. . . . (Ecclesiastes 2:11)Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

(John 7:37)In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink.-- (Psalm 107:9)For He satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness.

(Colossians 3:2)Set your affection on things Above, not on things on the earth.

Jer 2:13 Ge 4:1 11:4,8 Ge 13:11,10,13 Ec 1:17,18 2:4,8,11 Joh 7:37 Ps 107:9 Col 3:2




--
Romans 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
I Peter 5:11 To Him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: